A Better St. Louis. Powered by Journalism.
  • Twitter
  • Facebook

Meet the interns: Chelsea Embree and Carl's Drive In

In Beacon Blog

12:28 am on Mon, 07.01.13

Most days, at most times, it’s impossible to walk into Carl’s Drive In.

This matchbox-size diner is on Manchester Road near Brentwood Boulevard, and approximately everyone packs in Tuesdays through Saturdays for lunch and dinner, filling both sides of the its bar seating and standing room, which is limited to begin with.

Chelsea Embree did not go into journalism because her mother said so. Instead, she wandered into a meeting for the student newspaper at Knox College in Galesburg, Ill., as a creative writing major looking to start (and eventually expand) a portfolio. After writing for and editing the paper, Embree realized her career calling.

Though she does not spend much time in her native Clayton, a special thanks should go to all her English teachers at Clayton High School, as each encouraged her writing and critiqued it when it was really necessary.

Note: We asked each intern to write about something the Beacon had not covered.

But people choose this sardine-like experience for a reason. It is not because Carl’s is on the forefront of innovations in American diner food. In fact, it is because not much has changed, or needed to change, over the years—including the prices.

On Saturdays around 4 p.m., the diner isn’t nearly as busy as it usually is. This is the time and place I would spend a chunk of my weekends as a high school student in St. Louis. Once I could make the quick drive from The Studio, Inc., where I danced for most of my life, I would go to Carl’s and order a large IBC Root Beer from the barrel while I waited for my food.

But until last summer, I’d never eaten what they’re famous for. I had not even done a taste test in the name of my blog, in which I wrote about cheap things for young people to do (and eat) in St. Louis.

Until last summer, I had never had a hamburger.

This is only one of my many food quirks. I love to tell fellow St. Louisans that I’ve never had toasted ravioli or that I didn’t try Imo’s until I was 14 years old because I didn’t try pizza until I was 14 years old. They look at me like I’m an alien. At my small, liberal arts college, though, this is more a point of intrigue than a reason to never speak to me ever again. We still introduce ourselves on the first day of classes, and a favorite for my “fun fact about yourself” is that I hadn’t tried cheese by itself until my sophomore year — of college.

I remember my first burger, though, mostly because my mother documented the experience. It was a late night in June, and what I really wanted were French fries. But no one would get them for me unless I agreed to try a burger, and for the sake of this bargain, I did.

To my utmost surprise, I ended up getting the better end of this deal. I met my first burger in an atmosphere of cheese and bacon, and I loved it. Although the burger itself was not particularly memorable (no offense to Steak n’ Shake), it opened the gateway to more wonderful burger experiences that were sure to come.

Paul Sableman | Flickr

View Larger Map

Of course, I had to go back to Carl’s as soon as I’d been enlightened. When I used to go there at the end of my long day of dance on Saturdays, the waitresses would recognize me and recite my order of a foot-long hot dog. They are amazing and delicious, indeed; but the talk about Carl’s burgers from everyone in Brentwood was too much to ignore.

And the price talked too loudly. For less than $6, I ordered a double bacon cheeseburger with a large side of fries and a “small” IBC Root Beer. (May it be noted that a “small” at Carl’s is not small.) The only complaint I had was that I finished it too quickly. I could have had another double bacon cheeseburger. And another after that.

Any native will say that one of the best things about St. Louis is its food. But no native should rave about ravs until they have had this burger. And too many still have not. I may still have my food quirks — for example, I don’t put sauce on anything — but do anything to a burger from Carl’s Drive In, and even I will eat it.

1 Comment

Join The Beacon

When you register with the Beacon, you can save your searches as news alerts, rsvp for events, manage your donations and receive news and updates from the Beacon team.

Register Now

Already a Member

Getting around the new site

Take a look at our tutorials to help you get the hang of the new site.

Most Discussed Articles By Beacon Members

Conference of American nuns will mull response to Vatican charges

In Nation

7:55 am on Fri, 08.03.12

Meeting in St. Louis next week, the Leadership Conference of Women Religious will have its first opportunity as an assembled group to consider what to do after the Vatican issued a mandate for change this spring. It calls on the conference to reorganize and more strictly observe church teachings.

The 'free' Zoo

In Commentary

7:51 am on Tue, 05.22.12

When a family of four goes to the St. Louis Zoo, they can be forgiven for not knowing it will cost them $60, $72 if they park. If they can't pay, the alternative is to tell the kids they can't do what kids do at the zoo.

Featured Articles

House sends Boeing incentive bill to Nixon

In Economy

12:55 pm on Fri, 12.06.13

The Missouri House easily passed legislation aimed at attracting production of the 777x, a move that wraps up a legislative special session that saw little suspense and few surprises. The bill now goes to Gov. Jay Nixon, who has strongly supported the legislation.

Gandhi inspired Mandela on South Africa's 'Long Road to Freedom'

In World

10:10 am on Fri, 12.06.13

Nelson Mandela, who died Thursday at the age of 95, was a towering moral figure of the 20th century -- along with Mahatma Gandhi. It was no coincidence that Gandhi and Mandela, whose paths never crossed directly, both embarked on their campaigns against discrimination in South Africa. It was when Mandela won election as South Africa’s first black president that Gandhi's influence became apparent.

Featured Articles

Regina Carter brings jazz and therapy to Children's Hospital

6:36 am on Mon, 12.09.13

One night, the violinist is taking bows before a standing ovation at Jazz at the Bistro. The next afternoon, some of her audience may have trouble standing, but the kids in the playroom at Children's Hospital were no less appreciative. “Jazz is medicine personified," according to a doctor who brings in the jazz musicians.

Encore: Dead before death

In Performing Arts

12:58 am on Fri, 12.06.13

For years , the author was certain he would never come to appreciate The Grateful Dead, let alone be a Deadhead. But little by little, he's come around. He talks about his conversion and relates a real evolution: by a musician who went on to play with the Schwag, a Dead cover band.

Featured Articles

Schlichter honored with St. Louis Award

In Region

4:57 pm on Tue, 12.03.13

The attorney has founded Arch Grants, which brings together nonprofit philanthropy and commercially viable opportunitiesto fund new business startups, and Mentor St. Louis, which finds adult mentors for elementary students in the St. Louis Public School System. He was the driving force behind the state's historic tax credit program.

BioGenerator sets open house to celebrate new digs for entrepreneurs-in-residence

In InnovationSTL

12:29 pm on Tue, 11.12.13

BioSTL's BioGenerator organization is on the move as its entrepreneurs-in-residence find a new home in 4,300 square feet of office and conference space in an old automobile factory. The blossoming program, which helps BioGenerator's portfolio companies to get off the ground, continues to pay dividends within the growing biotech community.

Ambassadors aim to soften rough landing for St. Louis immigrants

In InnovationSTL

6:34 am on Fri, 11.08.13

The St. Louis Mosaic Project is set to hold an orientation for its new ambassadors -- dozens of foreign and native-born volunteers who aim to help make the community a more welcoming place for those from other nations. Participants will be expected to do everything from visiting local restaurants serving international cuisine to having dinner with an immigrant to the area.

Recent Articles

More Articles

Innovation and entrepreneurial activity are on the rise in St. Louis, especially in bioscience, technology and alternative energy. The Beacon's InnovationSTL section focuses on the people who are part of this wave, what they're doing and how this is shaping our future. To many St. Louisans, this wave is not yet visible. InnovationSTL aims to change that. We welcome you to share your knowledge, learn more about this vibrant trend and discuss its impact.

Featured Articles