Early afternoon: St. Vincent's hall in south St. Louis
Things had slowed down at the fifth precinct at St. Vincent De Paul's parish hall on Ninth Street off Park in St. Louis. While lines had circled the parking lot in the morning, poll workers were experiencing a lull around noon, although voters casting ballots on their lunch hours still appeared.
People sat on a concrete wall outside eating lunch. Nonpartisan workers sat in neon green vests, waiting to help voters having difficulties.
Here's what some of the voters said.
- Age: 27
- Occupation: Postal worker (no photo)
- Who did you vote for in the presidential race and why? Barack Obama "Just like he said, change."
- What advice do you have for the next president? "My main concern is taxes, schools and the care of the future ... the elderly and the children."
- What would you like to see changed first? "Gas prices for one. I guess that they should stop spending money abroad and spend it at home."
Rev. H.L. Gordon
- Age: 60
- Occupation: Minister
- Who did you vote for in the presidential race and why? Obama. "I think he would bring positive changes for the nation. I think he has some new and fresh ideas that would benefit everyone."
- What advice do you have for the next president? "To include everyone in decision making and really negotiate with world leaders. Republican, Democrats, no matter what the divide, include everyone."
- What would you like to see changed first? "I'd like to see the war end and then the economy. That would be No. 2."
Abdirahman K. Abdi
- Age: 25
- Occupation: Computer network administrator
- Background: Originally from Somalia, Abdi has been here for 10 years. Tuesday was the first time he ever voted in an election. "I was so exicted," Abdi said. "I couldn't wait to wake up. And of course I wanted to be part of this historic election."(photo)
- Who did you vote for in the presidential race and why? Obama. "I voted for him because he talks about the issues I want. The economy, jobs ... And I like how he speaks. He actually persuaded me by how he talks."
- What advice do you have for the next president? Would like to see the United States aid Somalia and help to stop the conflict there. He wants the president to look to that situation. "I would hope he would do something about that."
- What would you like to see changed first? "I would like our troops in Iraq to be coming home. We don't want war."